Friday, September 15, 2017

Smooth sailing

The next morning 12-24-2012 the road condition were slightly improved. The roads are open but chains were required. We have no chains. So we head on out to the only place that might have them (walmart). We are once again presented with a plethora of chains and none seem right for the U-haul. Thankfully A clerk showed up and helped us find ones that were the correct range. She produced a sheet that we did not see at the other walmart that made it more clear which ones we needed. So we have chains for the truck and the trailer, now with my wallet considerably lighter, we began trying to put the chains on in the parking lot. This was made more enjoyable as the parking lot was frozen over. I have watched chains being put on (once) when I was about 16. So between the 2 of us we got them on and it only took... well I think it was less than 2 hours.

We continue on with our journey, with me as the driver. The chains limited us to about 35mph. We cleared the summit where they were required, and most annoyingly, by the time we got them on, and got to where they were required, most of the ice had melted. At the first opportunity we took them off. We did pass over some occasional ice after that but nothing major. We did not need the blasted chains the rest of the trip. I still have them as a cruel reminder of the journey.

We are sorely behind schedule and need to make it to Twin Falls, ID today. We did discover that if you went faster than 55mph the trailer started swaying, but if you got up to about 72 it smoothed out (this helped recover some time) The remainder of the day was driving, quick breaks, lunch, gas, etc. We rolled in to Twin Falls late, stopped at a Motel 6 that had RV parking and almost no one in any of the rooms.

We get situated and head out to find a place to eat. It was very cold, and VERY windy. The first place we come to is a Jack-in-the-box. I go to open the door and it's locked. There is sign out front that says "OPEN". I am standing under the sign staring at the only worker in there cleaning up (that does not seem to see me) I proceed to basically gesture at the sign and let her have it (in Bill talk). My nephew who does not normally see me do anything weird, practically kills himself trying to find a place to hide.

Flashback to about a year or so before...
I am at my sisters apartment. Helping nephew with some school work. Afterwards that night we go outside and he wants me to put on his bass drum that he marches with (I was warned of this by his mom). His plan is to somehow embarrass me. (He don't know me vewy well? do he!) I put the drum on, ask for the sticks and before my nephew can as why? Began pounding without rhythm, VERY LOUDLY, and start marching around shouting "Be kind to your web footed friends". Nephew is shocked, My sister (his mom), and My wife are dumbfounded, my sister's husband literally runs away. Hey! what do I care? I won't see any of the other people in the apartment complex again!

So we eventually find some place to eat, a chain restaurant of some kind. We head back to the hotel and crash. Motel 6's are weird. The shower head (in this one) was on the side of the shower above the opening. The one in Issaquah was the other way around so you could not turn the water on with the curtain open, the water sprayed right out on to the floor). They do not have alarm clocks, and some other things that normal hotels have. The rooms are kind of small.

Next Post:
"Best Christmas EVAR!" or "Who knew that the best day to drive is Christmas day?".

No comments:

Post a Comment