Saturday, November 14, 2015

Debbie Downer

I tried calling Bob this morning starting about 10:30. I called him about 5 times and he never answered. My wife and I had to take one of our cats to the vet and afterwards we drove through his apartment complex. He had driven his car (which he is not supposed to). It was in a different spot than when I was last there.

I finally got a hold of him and had a disjointed conversation on the phone with him. He read me a note that he had written about how the lady at the driving place had destroyed his life and he had no reason to live. I tried talking to him but he could barely hear me. He was complaining about the cold and I told him to turn on the heat. He argued with me but turned it on anyways. When he came back to the phone he said hello and before I could answer him he hung up. I called him back and asked him why he hung up and he said that "there was no one there" I told him I was there and before I could say so he hung up.

I went to see him and when I knocked on the door he was in his boxers and a t-shirt. His hair was a mess. I sat down on the bed with him and had a long talk (about 40 minutes) I recorded the whole thing but will probably never play it for anyone.

I doubt it will have any effect on him, I told him I was going to the store and that I would get him a hairbrush with soft bristles. He told me "they don't have them" I said they do and he said "wanna bet" I said yes $5, he said "no how about $100" I said "fine, but remember this I only bet when I know I will win".

I also told him to take a shower (he hadn't in about a week) and put on some clean clothes, he hadn't changed his clothes in at least week.

When I came back from the store (after unloading the groceries at my house) He answered the door like I was the 20th person to knock on it that day. He said "I'm still here". I handed him the brush, he felt it and said "you actually found one!". He said "Where did you find it", "Fry's" I said. he said "I could never find one". He never looked and would never ask anyone.

He had not showered, or dressed or done anything, just laid there in the dark. The only thing missing that would have made it more depressing was a group of monks singing dirges. ಠ_ಠ

No comments:

Post a Comment