Wednesday, December 23, 2015

and Bob said "Let there be light!"

And there was light, but the light was just a bit dimmer than the last time there was light, and Bob said "that it was good.... enough".

Bob has awakened from his latest episode with vascular dementia. He was way more lucid than he has been for the last several weeks. I could almost have a normal conversation with him... but not quite. He now understands things he did not just a few days ago and even remembers a few things but the elevator can't get up to the penthouse.

He was telling me that I need to respect him, and by respect he means I should just agree with anything he wants and do what he wants no matter how illogical it is. I told him I would respect him if he would cooperate with us. he said "you treat me like a 3 year old" I told him "you act like a 3 year old". he did not like that.

We went to the Alzheimers doctor today and he was in quite a good mood. While we were there he saw the records the doctor had and wanted to see them. While he pretended he knew what he was looking at, and went through them the doctor and I talked about him, he was oblivious to all of it.

He thinks that I am paying for his lunch program and I told him several times that he is, his response is that I am going to "run him out of money." When I mentioned this to the doctor she said with a wink "it's amazing what his insurance will pay for now a days." Which means I should lie to him. So that is what I will tell him the next time he asks.

The Doctor reaffirmed what I already knew, that besides Alzheimers, he also has vascular dementia, and these episodes will continue until he dies.

The doctor wrote a prescription saying that he needs to be in assisted living, and she will also draw up the paper work stating that he is not capable of making informed decisions. This will activate my powers of attorney for him permanently.

When he has to go in to memory care or assisted living and they take all his money he will have a fit, the doctor said that if we tell her in advance then she can prescribe meds to make this less of a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment